Bridges have played an important part in the development of New Mills.
THE BRIDGES OF NEW MILLS
The Union Bridge.
New Mills High Level Bridge.
“For years, for generations, yea, for the greater part of a century the question has continually cropped up of how best to cross the Torrs, and it was evident that an enormous sum of money would be required to make such a road even when the difficulty of the erection had been solved. Most people in this district will be acquainted with the fact that Newtown, which is part and parcel of New Mills, is in the county of Chester, and is divided from New Mills proper by the deep and dangerous ravine called the Torrs. Newtown has of late years become a very important part of the district, and many of the old inhabitants of the locality, can very well remember the time when there was little or no population, in fact no Newtown at all, but there must now be at least two thousand inhabitants. Vehicles travelling from Newtown to New Mills or vice versa were compelled to go round Hyde Bank and High Street, while foot passengers were under the unpleasant necessity of venturing down a most dangerous road into the bottom of the ravine and up a sharp ascent on the other side. No wonder that the county and other authorities saw the difficulty attending the erection of such a viaduct, which was not resolved upon until some really practical and business like men represented the rate payers on the New Mills Local Board.”
Early in 1882, the Local Board engaged Mr J S Storey, the surveyor to the county of Derbyshire to prepare plans for a bridge across the Torrs, effectively joining the two settlements of New Mills, in Derbyshire and Newtown, in Cheshire. Mr Storey had considerable experience in the erection of bridges gained whilst employed by the Midland Railway.
On the 13th of November 1882, at a meeting of the Local Board, Mr Saxton, Landlord of the Crown Hotel, moved “that a bridge be erected across the Torrs and a new road made leading from the end of the Railway Hotel, across the said bridge, to come out at the Queens Arms Hotel, or at any other point or points, as may be decided upon by this Board, according to the plans and specifications prepared by Mr. J. S. Storey, and with such deviations as may be decided upon by this Board from time to time.” Mr. James Hibbert seconded the motion, which was carried by the narrowest majority.
Messers Johnson and Johnson, solicitors of Stockport and New Mills were engaged to procure the land on either side of the gorge from the various owners.
The Board invited tenders for the work, and that of Mr. M. W. Walmsley, of Crumpsall, near Manchester was accepted for the sum of £3,200, the engineer being Mr. J. S. Storey.
The work of putting in the foundations of the first pillar was commenced in May 1883 and the following month Mr. James Hibbert Esq. laid the memorial stone. The contractor had in the first instance intended to obtain the bulk of the stone required for the work from the Darley Dale Quarries, but upon breaking into the rock alongside Schofield’s road, which is adjacent to the bridge, the stone was found to be of such superior quality that the idea was abandoned and almost the whole of the rock used in the structure was quarried on the spot.
The structure, which is composed of four, arches each of 41 feet square, rests upon three pillars and an abutment built in the rock on the north and south side. From the bed of the river Goyt to the top of the parapet wall is 94 feet. The bridge itself is sixty yards in length and the width is thirty feet. The parapet wall is five feet above the footpath. The roadway from the Railway Hotel to the Queens Arms Hotel is 308 yards and the width of the said road 36 feet. The cost of the roadway and the bridge in round numbers was £4,400. The gradient of the roadway is one in seventeen and a half.
The opening of the bridge was generally expected to be the largest demonstration ever known in the locality; and so it proved. Over £120 was subscribed voluntarily in a few days towards the expenses of providing the whole of the school children in the Local Board district with tea, paying the cost of the bands of music and other incidental expenses. For a week prior to the opening, the general public, tradesmen and manufacturers seemed bent on making the affair a complete success, and left no stone unturned in order to contribute their quota to the grand procession. The members of all the Friendly Societies, Sons of Temperance, and scholars also made great preparations. All day on Friday willing workers were busily engaged in erecting triumphal arches, mottoes, &c, across the streets, and on Saturday morning nearly every house and shop in Market street and High street displayed flags and a profusion of bunting, and Union Jacks floated in the breeze over the Public Hall, Liberal Club, Conservative Club, Market Hall, and all the principal hotels and manufactories in the neighbourhood. Every train came in well laden with visitors, and by the time eleven o’clock was reached, the thoroughfares were densely crowded. Half-past eleven was the time fixed for all the various bodies to meet in the vicinity of the Public Hall, but long before that time the representatives of trades and industries had already gathered in Meal street. The Sunday school children carrying bannerettes, met in the enclosed ground in front of the Public Hall exactly at half-past eleven and when all were gathered sang the beautiful hymn “All hail the power of Jesu’s name,” under the able leadership of Mr W. H. Whitehead, about 200 voices joining in the song of praise in the presence of thousands of spectators – a sight that was never before witnessed in New Mills.
Exactly as the clock in the Public Hall was striking twelve the procession first moved off to the inspiring strains of the Salford Borough Reed Band, who kept up their popularity as first class musicians. The first in the procession was a wagonette and pair driven by Mr Saxton, of the Crown Hotel, preceded by a horseman in uniform. The wagonette contained members of the Board and others involved in the building of the bridge. Followed be the members of the committee, gentry, tradesmen on foot and horse back. Anyone who was anyone was there. These were followed by the Audenshaw and Droylsden Temperance Prize Brass Band preceded the scholars, teachers and officers of the National and Wesleyan Sunday Schools, accompanying them was the Newtown Wesleyan School. Next came the Hayfield Brass Band, followed by the Independent and Primitive Methodist Sunday Schools and also Thornsett Independent Sunday School, the younger members being conveyed in a large lurry belonging to Mr T. B. Turner, of Bate Mill, which had been gaily decorated. These schools were headed by their ministers. Next, the United Methodist Free Church School, accompanied by the Rev, Geo. Hudson, was headed by the Salford Drum and Fife Band; and the workhouse children presented a neat appearance, accompanied by their master Mr John Livesley. Following the scholars and headed by the Thornsett Brass Band, came the Oddfellows, with their large and beautiful silken banner, which had just been bought at a cost of £20.The members of the Juvenile Society connected with this order, followed in the most profusely decorated wagonette, which had been lent by Messrs John Bennett and Sons, of Birch Vale. The New Mills Old Band headed the Foresters, Bros. John Warhurst and Albert Cooper being quaintly attired in costume; and the Shepherds, headed by the Barnes Home Bands, were accompanied by Messrs. Martin Conway and James Richardson in suitable costume, and Mr Joseph Lomas represented the old shepherd, and the lads attending him were Masters Joseph Bennett and Timothy Beard. The Sons of Temperance were in various parts of the procession attired in their regalia. All the Friendly Societies and schools had with them large banners. All the upper windows of the houses and shops along the route were engaged and even the roofs of the buildings were resorted to by those seeking a good view of the procession. When the procession moved off along Market street towards the bridge it was joined at Meal street by the trades representatives. Messrs. Hazlehurst and Co., wholesale druggists, of Runcorn, paraded a lurry load of chemicals. Mr Wm. A Leigh, printer of Market street, was next in the procession with a printing machine on a lurry, and as the vehicle travelled forward the machine was worked, printing a piece of poetry entitled “New Mills – Ancient and Modern,” by Daniel Livingstone Naylor, of Stockport, over which was impressed an excellent cut of the new structure, with the mills of the Torr Spinning Company, in the bottom of the Torrs, the handiwork of Mr Joel Lomas, watchmaker, of Market Place, New Mills. The sheets were struck off the machine and distributed along the route. Messrs J. and E. Arnfield, of the Globe Foundry, were next represented by a large machine used in the manufacture of paper, which was on a dray drawn by several powerful horses; but too much cannot be said of the firm of John Hawthorn and Co., of the Canal Foundry, who contributed very largely to the turn out, with several engines and machines in motion. They wee most handsome pieces of workmanship, and Messrs. Hawthorn must have been at considerable trouble and expense in order to make such a splendid exhibition. Next came a lurry belonging to the London and North West Railway Company, on which rode the Company’s employees; and following were two large drays well laden with various articles of the ironmongery business from the establishment of Mr Jos. Bagshaw, Market street. Messrs. Scattergood and Warrington, contractors, of Newtown, were represented by a lurry load of window frames and other joiners work; and Mr James Wharmby, grocer, of Liverpool House, Market street, contributed two lurry loads of flour and corn. Messrs. Fielding and Higginbottom had three large chemical butts handsomely painted and mounted on a lurry drawn by powerful and gaily decorated horses; and following was a load of rollers used in the engraving business at the establishment of Messrs. Campbell, St. George’s Engraving Works. Messrs. D. Wyatt and sons, of Newtown Corn Mills, contributed a cart load of sacks of flour. Mr T. B. Turner, of Bate Mill displayed a lurry load of bleached and unbleached cotton yarn. Mr. C Maw, nurseryman, of Hazel Grove, sent a beautiful load of plants and flowers, which were a credit to that gentleman; and following was a load of “black diamonds” (coal) sent by Mr. Wild of Newtown. Mr W. T. Whitehead, musical instrument dealer came next with two handsome pianos, made for the purpose of the exhibition; and Mr T. H. Hopkinson, wholesale grocer, of Stockport, had also a dray load of goods of a miscellaneous character, the quality being of high standing excellence, in keeping with the reputation the firm worthily bears in this and other parts of Derbyshire. The lurry presented quite a striking feature in the procession, adorned as it was in the most profuse and artistic fashion, and drawn by two fine and powerful horses, and if it was the intention of the firm to honourably take a leading position in the demonstration, we can only say that they were eminently successful. We understand that the goods were for Mr James Wharmby, of Liverpool House, Market street. Mr. Hugh Pollard, butcher, Market street; Mr John Sayer, furniture dealer, of Market street; and Messrs. T. Neville and Company, of Strines, were also in the procession, the last in it being the band of the 4th Derbyshire Rifle Volunteers from Whaley Bridge.
On the bridge being reached, the scholars and Sunday School authorities proceeded to a field on the left side of the bridge, and under the leadership of Mr. Whitehead sang “Praise ye the Lord, tis good to raise.” At this point, it began to rain.
The Formal Opening.
The formal ceremony was entrusted to William Sidebottom, Esq., chairman of the Local Board accompanied by Mr. Saxon, Mr. William Sidebottom and other members of the Local Board, The members of the Bridge Committee. Mr. J. Pollitt (clerk to the Board), Mr. M. W. Walmsley (contracted builder), Mr. J. S. Storey (county surveyor), Mr. C. Johnson (solicitor), Mr T. Coulthurst (engineer), Mr. Thomas Owen Arnfield and other leading citizens.
Mr. Walmsley, in very few words expressed the pleasure it gave him to present to Mr. Sidebottom a handsome mallet and a silver trowel with an ivory handle, for the purpose of laying the last stone. The trowel, which was enclosed in a case lined with velvet, had engraved upon it the following inscription: High Level Bridge, New Mills. Presented by Mr M. W. Walmsley, contractor, to William Sidebottom, Esq., on the occasion of his laying the last corner stone of the above bridge. June 7th, 1884.
The stone having been lowered in its place, Mr. Sidebottom declared it to be well and truly laid, and remarked how long such a bridge had been desired by the inhabitants of the locality, and dwelt upon the circumstances attending its erection, stating that the entire cost of the structure was £4,400. He also spoke of the abilities of Mr Walmsley as a contractor, and Mr. Storey as an engineer, and concluded by expressing the hope that the bridge would stand forever, and be of great benefit to the district. He concluded by cutting the string and declaring the bridge open forever, amid loud cheers. Mr Samuel Lowe, then added a few words, hoping that the bridge would be a means of improving trade in the district and be a great public benefit.
The procession then reformed and passed over the bridge, going up as far as the Swan Inn, Newtown, returning via Church road, Low Leighton, High Hill Lane, Bottom of Thornsett, Bate Mill Road, Watford Bridge, Bridge street, Dyehouse lane, and High street to the Market Place, where it broke up, the children proceeding to their respective schools, where they were entertained at tea, and the Friendly Societies to their meeting houses
That evening a banquet was held at the Crown Hotel where a most sumptuous repast was served up by the Host Mr Thomas Saxon. The menu comprised of
Fore Quarter of Lamb.
Corned Beef. Roast Ribs of Beef.
Roast and Boiled Fowl.
Braised Ham and Tongue.
Bakewell and other Puddings.
Tartlets – Jellies and Creams.
Cheese and Salad.
Following the meal, on the motion of Mr. Fielding, seconded by Mr. Rowbottom, Mr. John Hawthorn was voted to the chair, and Mr. Salisbury complied with a request to officiate as vice-chairman.
The chairman on rising said he felt sorry that it should have been necessary to ask him to occupy the chair, and much regretted that the chair of the Local Board, the members of the Board, and the secretaries of the general committee were absent from the gathering, having thought proper to stay away; but they might know that there never could be found twelve men in New Mills who could agree amongst themselves, which he considered was a somewhat unfortunate circumstance. But he was also surprised that they should call upon him to occupy the chair when such an able man as Mr Fielding was in the room, because he (Mr Fielding) was one of the chief supporters of the bridge movement, whilst he himself was at first a strong opponent of the scheme. He admitted that the most important part of the district would be greatly benefited by the new bridge. They had that day united New Mills and Newtown in matrimony, and he must say that it was a very unequal match; but the job was now done, and they must put up with it. It was a most unfortunate time for Newtown when she was joined to the New Mills Local Board district, but he must say that it was a bit of very good diplomacy on the part of New Mills, which he gave the New Mills people credit for. He still maintained the opinion that the Newtown end of the bridge was not in the right place, but he would let it stay where it was, because he could not remove it (laughter.) However, it was built and he thought something should be done lower down Newtown, instead of some of the inhabitants having to go up to the tollbar and then walk something like half a mile to the new bridge. (Hear, hear). However, if New Mills was benefited by the new structure, some little benefit might accrue to Newtown. It was a good bridge, and a credit to the builder. He felt still that his action at first was satisfactory to the ratepayers, because he obtained more votes in the second election than the first.
He asked them to drink to the health of Her Majesty the Queen, which they did most heartily.
Mr Fielding rose to propose the health of Mr Storey the engineer. He had he said every respect in the world for that gentleman. He had only known him about two years though he had heard of him many times, and when he heard that he was to be their engineer, he had thought that they should not be very far wide. He considered the erection that they had just opened that day was one of the grandest things that had ever come to Derbyshire. It had been agitated for such a long time that he had never thought that he should live to see it accomplished; but he was glad to say that he had driven over it that very day. It was one of the greatest boons that ever was conferred on the district, and they had had many gentlemen in the procession that day who never expected to have seen the work accomplished. He remembered a man singing many years ago a song called “When will the bridge go over New Mills?” and the chorus was “When pigs begin to fly.” (Loud laughter.) Although the pigs had not yet begun to fly, he was glad to say that the bridge was built.
Mr. John Pollitt, clerk to the Local Board, and one of the secretaries to the bridge committee, in supporting the toast so ably proposed by Mr. Fielding, remarked that when the Board asked Mr. Storey to prepare the plans for the new bridge, they did the best thing that they could have done, and the longer they had known him the more they respected him. The first gentleman who was appointed clerk of the works, when he learned that Mr. Storey was the engineer, remarked that under his guidance the Board had nothing to fear. Mr Storey had made his mark with the Midland Railway Company long before they knew him; and as to the bridge, even the opponents to the scheme admitted that it was a very fine piece of work indeed and he (Mr. Pollitt) believed that it would greatly add to the interest of the trades people and all classes in New Mills. Mr Pollitt went on to refer to the pleasing fact that the procession was composed of all classes, from the highest to the lowest, all the schools and Friendly Societies taking part, from which over £120 was gathered in a few days, which was a credit to the place and something to be proud of. He expressed the hope that Mr. Storey and his colleagues would in a very short time succeed in bringing them a railway through one of the pleasantest parts of the Peak of Derbyshire, the Dore and Chinley Railway. (Cheers.) How much better it would be when they could get into Edale and the Hope Valley, and run round to Baslow to visit Chatsworth Park, one of the most beautiful places in the country, and arrive back home again the same day. He had great pleasure in cordially supporting the toast. (Loud cheers.)
Mr Storey responded. He felt very much flattered indeed by the kind way in which they had received the toast. When he was at a similar gathering to mark the laying of the foundation stone some time ago, he told them of the difficulties which would undoubtedly arise. They certainly had had some to contend with, but not so many as the expected. At the same time he also told them that they should overcome them, and their meeting that evening proved they had done so. It was true they might have studied architectural beauty a bit more, but he did not want to throw away £2000 or £3000 of the ratepayers money in that manner. It had not been carried out without a great deal of trouble and scheming. He had been struck by the business capabilities of the Local Board, and a great deal was due to their excellent clerk Mr Pollitt. They had been very fortunate in obtaining the services of a contractor like Mr. Walmsley, a gentleman who had had large experience in works of that kind. Mr Storey concluded by humourously remarking that he should have pleasure in erecting them another viaduct at any time.
The Vice Chairman proposed the Trade of the District. Mr George Higginbottom in supporting the toast said that about 16 years since it was proposed to erect a subscription bridge, but it fell through, and was laid aside until they got a Local Board with the energy in them to carry it out, for which all credit was due to them. Since he cam into the district he had done what he could, for the trade of the locality; and as to the bridge, they might look upon it as a stepping stone to other improvements, and in about 15 months they would have all tollbars in the district removed.
Dr. Anderton, in supporting it observed that it was only twelve months since he came into the district, since which he had made, he believed, life long friends. This was a day never to be forgotten in the history of New Mills, but it was one of those things that were better late than never. He believed that the erection of the bridge was decided by only one vote, and he regretted that the gentleman whose vote carried the project was not there.
Many more toasts were proposed and speeches made in the same vain.
Below is the poem by Mr D. Livingstone Naylor, struck of his printing machine and distributed along the route of the procession.
There are a number of other bridges in the parish with long histories
The Midland Railway Viaduct
is the most recently built of the multi arched bridges. Its thirteen arches sweep across the Goyt Valley. It was constructed in 1902, by the Midland Railway Company to provide a direct route from Sheffield to Manchester Central Station.
The footbridge over the river Goyt by Goytside Farm is a modern structure. The latest of a succession of bridges to span this ancient crossing point. The oldest known bridge was called “Pott or Pott’s Bridge.” This had ceased to exist by 1829, when a ford crossed the river. However, another bridge must have been built prior to 1872, as it is reported that the great June flood of that year swept it away.
Bank End Canal Bridge.
This humped back stone bridge across the Peak Forest Canal is shown on Greenwoods 1819 map of Cheshire. It carries the distinction of being a Grade III listed building. The canal was constructed around 1800 to bring limestone from the quarries at Dove Holes to the limekilns at Buxworth. The processed lime was then shipped out along the Peak Forest Canal toward Duckinfield and links with the Ashton and Huddersfield canals.
A small bridge used to cross the canal from Redmoor Lane to Victoria Street. The abutments are still visible on either side of the canal. The bridge became redundant when the Thornsett turnpike road, now Albion Road was opened in 1835. Albion Road now crosses the canal just to the west on a bridge which underwent major strengthening work in 1984, following a partial collapse, probably caused by the ever larger lorries crossing it.
Torr Mill Bridge.
Before the high level bridges across the Torrs were built, the only crossing points were the narrow low-level bridges in the gorge itself. These were probably built or drastically improved by the early mill owners to access their properties. The single span bridge near Torr Mill is shown on maps of 1819, but was probably built shortly after 1804 when Samuel Schofield acquired the site of Torr Mill. The road over the bridge and out of the gorge was known as Schofield's road.
At the far end of the Torr Mill complex was a low level bridge over the river Sett. This bridge formed part of a road, which led out of the Torrs close to the end of Hyde Bank Road. The original bridge was constructed by one Randle Taylor between 1784 and 1804. Todays bridge is possibly of a more recent replacement as the original bridge may have been swept away by flood waters. The railway viaduct just upstream was built in 1866 as part of the Midland Railways line from Rowsley to Buxton and the Manchester to Sheffield and the Lincolnshire Railways line from New Mills to Manchester via Marple.
Millward Memorial Bridge.
Officially, this timber bridge was officially opened on June 7th 1884, the centenary date for the opening of the Union Bridge. The two solid oak beams each forty-one and a half feet long and weighing almost two tons, were lowered over the Queens Bridge and dragged into place on stone pillars. Much of the work was carried out by local people. The bridge was constructed to provide a recreational route from the Torrs to the southern parts of the Goyt Valley. This route, now almost taken for granted was a great boom to the town, joining land purchased by the town council at Goytside to the Torrs and the formation of the Riverside Park. This park, which lies almost totally under the control of the town council, consists of land alongside the rivers Sett and Goyt. Much of the land was purchased under the guidance of the late Sir Martin Doughty, who for many years gently pursued a vision of opening the banks of the rivers Goyt and Sett to public access. The Millward Bridge commemorates the life and works of the late Dr Millward, who fought long and hard for better housing within the town, but is perhaps better remembered as a pioneer of the opening of the Torrs to the public in the 1970’s.
This was the first of the arched high-level bridges. It was built to carry the Thornsett Turnpike Road, now called Church Road, over the river Goyt in 1835. The lower tier of the bridge was added in 1888, when major strengthening work was undertaken. The path under the smaller arch follows the route of the former leat or headrace, which delivered water from the Goyt to Torr mill, via an aqueduct. At the head of the leat lies a small bridge close to the site of a cottage known as Ned Mill. This bridge was part of the water management for Torr Mill. It seems likely that Ned Mill was the water mans residence.
The Woodend Bridge spans the river Goyt on the now border of Derbyshire and Cheshire. It was like so many other bridges originally a packsaddle bridge. According to George William Newton, the man assigned to replace it “its dangerous narrow approaches on both sides, at right angles, was so narrow as not to leave room for the drivers of the carts, and the battlements were eventually knocked off into the river by the collision of wheels of carts and carriages passing over it.” The bridge was designed by Samuel Fowls, of Northwich. The bridge was finished in late 1858, but not before the work had been interrupted by an August flood that swept away the work completed to that point. At the bottom of Waterside road lies another ancient bridge properly known as the Hague Bridge.
Before the high level bridges were built over the Torrs, the only crossing point
other than low level foot bridges, was the ancient bridge at the 'New Mill' at
the foot of High Street. Even well into the industrial period, this bridge remained no more than a pack horse bridge and often in a poor state of repair, neglect which arose from the responsibility for roads and bridges being placed with the hamlets and, through quarter sessions ultimately with the county, far removed on the other side of Derbyshire at Derby.
In 1820, the county was prosecuted by the crown for the neglect of this bridge and the prosecution's statement provided information about the town and its communications at that time.
In the year 1759 the village or hamlet of New Mills comprised no more than
from 15 to 20 houses which contained about 100 persons. The present bridge
was then standing over the river Kinder and used by the neighbouring hamlets
with pack horses in conveying corn and other articles to the adjoining markets
of Stockport and Macclesfield.
In the year 1811 New Mills was made a market town and the inhabitants computed to 1900 and have since considerably increased and the bridge still remains in the state it was in the year 1759 to the greatest peril and loss of lives of the persons and cattle passing over it in consequence of it’s narrow and defective state. The townships of Ollersett and Beard on the south side of the said bridge have no means of communication with the neighbouring market townsof New Mills, Macclesfield and Stockport but over that bridge. On the east side New Mills has no communications with Chapel-en-le-Frith and Tideswell except by means of the said bridge.
The bridge is only four feet five inches in breadth and is 62 feet in length and
supported by two arches. The river is frequently by the swell of water impassable and accidents often happen from the ruinous state of the battlements and narrowness of the bridge.
It was reported by the magistrates at Quarter Sessions in January 1857 that
Captain White presented a Memorial praying that this Bridge (New Mills Pack
Saddle Bridge) hitherto only used as a Horse Bridge may be rebuilt by the
County as a Carriage Bridge, but the Court declined to make such an order.
Considering the industrial growth of the town by the late 1850’s the lack of a decent river crossing point must have been a great impediment. The bridge was eventually enlarged, but there can be little doubt that the county’s reluctance to act in enlarging this bridge would eventually lead to the movement of a resolution to build the Union Bridge.
The road bridge at Central Station isn’t perhaps a bridge that provokes much thought. It looks like a nineteen fifties or sixties construction with its cast steel sides. In fact, it’s just over a hundred years old. The present bridge replaced the original in August 1908. A short news report records an accident during the bridges construction
“A heavy girder, which was to form part of the new bridge over the Midland Railway line, was being hoisted into position yesterday morning when the hook of a powerful crane broke, and the girder, weighing about twenty tons, fell onto the line below. Several workmen had narrow escapes, and all trains were stopped for a considerable time. A large staff of men had been engaged on the work night and day, as the bridge is part of the main road to the station. During the Saturday night the old bridge had been removed and efforts made to put the new one into place.”
A footpath leads from Central Station down to the River Goyt where a foot bridge crosses to the side of Torr Vale Mill and passes to the gates of the mill and beyond into Newtown. The present bridge is a modern replacement, but the route itself is an old one, and many bridges have spanned the river here dating back to at least 1828 and probably far beyond. A little further down stream is another footbridge. Today it serves a footpath that runs past Grove Mill, but originally it was of much sturdier construction and lead into the mill yard.
Newtown Station Bridge
The iron footbridge on Newtown Railway Station, which opened in 1857, is attractively decorated with a wheel motif. There are similar bridges at both Furness Vale and Whaley Bridge stations